Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:39:49 +0100
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, benno@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding an address family

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 11:34:09PM -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:
> | Ok I'm trying to make a port of the IrDA stack on Linux to FreeBSD.
> | I've now written the driver for the chipset on my laptop, and I am ready
> | with that to pass data to an upper layer.
>
> Basically, we really do not want the Linux solution of doing IrDA.
> Using Netgraph would be much simpler.  Email me and I will let you
> into my CVS repo of the IrDA ongoing work that Benno and I have done.
> Benno is working hard on FreeBSD/PPC kernel porting.  I am doing the
> FreeBSD/PowerPC userland porting as well as I18N wchar* changes.
> Both of us are swamped, and the IrDA work has stagnated.  I think we
> will gladly hand over the work. :)

Ok, that's fine with me, I am eager to see what progress you two have
made.

> | Following to that one I had another question:
> |
> | 2. Is Netgraph going to be the future in FreeBSD network stacks. Iaw, will
> | tcp/ip be based on Netgraph in the future or will it just be a nice
> | extension but not more.
>
> Possibly, but why?   TCP/IP can be very resource intensive. After all,
> we have systems designed to only do TCP/IP, servers.
> IrDA, at maximum performance, cannot be higher than ~4mbit/sec, compared
> to gigabit ethernet and ATM networks that FreeBSD supports.
> At such high levels of I/O and CPU time, we can afford to have TCP/IP
> services in the kernel.  On the contrary, IrDA is ugly and should
> be organized by Netgraph.

*nods* That was the answer I expected, but wanted it to know for sure.

> | The reason I ask it is this: Is it wise to implement my protocol based on
> | Netgraph (so I can do it as a kernel module), or should I just build it
> | into the kernel?
>
> Netgraph all the way. (/me pondering what Julian is thinking)
> IrDA is a bunch of messed up ugly protocols that can simply be
> different ng_* Netgraph nodes.

I get the feeling I should use netgraph *grin*

> Do you have the IrDA ISA driver? If so, for what chipset?
> Is yours the National Semiconductor Super IO chipsets?
> Can I see the IrDA ISA driver? :)

I've written the PCI IrDA driver for my Toshiba laptop, the OBOE chipset.
I am willing to write other drivers too, if someone can supply me with the
needed hardware to develop for.
One thing I will look at tonight is an old Tulip laptop I have laying
around somewhere. It has an infrared port, but I have no idea what
chipset.
My driver is strongly based on the OBOE driver from Linux, so porting the
other drivers should not be a big problem probably. (This one costed me
a bit more time because it was my first PCI driver)

Mark

--
Mark Santcroos			   RIPE Network Coordination Centre

PGP KeyID: 1024/0x3DCBEB8D
PGP Fingerprint: BB1E D037 F29D 4B40 0B26  F152 795F FCAB 3DCB EB8D