Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 10:57:52 -0400
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au, wes@softweyr.com, imp@harmony.village.org, ilmar@ints.ru, posix1e@cyrus.watson.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure deletion

In some email I received, Darren Reed wrote:

> I don't think you understand the problem properly if you think it can be
> coded "correctly" - what you're proposing just isn't possible via software
> where one overwrite is pretty much as good as multiple.

I agree with that last statement. An implementation on FreeBSD probably does
not need to write multiple times to the disk. The added security in that
case will not matter. What I think is the issue is how much security people
are seeking. You can see several levels:

- none: files are deleted the way they are now, and it is fine. The
mechanism provided by FreeBSD when reallocating the disk blocks are good
enough to ensure the level of confidentiality we are looking after.

- basic: what the original poster was suggesting: writing garbage data (be
it zero or some pattern) over the deleted chunks. The clear advantage of
that is that if you try to recover the freed blocks on a system comparable
to the original system, you will probably not get anything useful out of the
disk.

- thorough: what government agencies do: physically destroy the disk. But
this is not really practical when you just intend to erase a single file...

In defense of the "basic" mechanism, I can see people getting worried that
by just running some program on a disk people can recover data that they
would wish gone for good. I am not talking about an organization that could
use all the funky hardware that would be required to fin the remanence of
the magnetic trace left by the data that was on the disk 20 writes ago, but
just somebody pulling the disk into another system on running recovery
programs.

I don't think the original poster was considering applications with very
tight security requirements (like the government may have in some cases).
But more protection against "casual" hackers (if a such thing exists).

Just my 2 cents,

Have a nice day.

Patrick.

--