Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:49:05 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Svatopluk Kraus <onwahe@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Video on BBB detected, but no output..

Svatopluk Kraus wrote this message on Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 00:08 +0200:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 9:51 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:
> > I've heard that FreeBSD now supports vidoe on BBB.  I decided to try
> > that w/ the recent June 25th snap (I thought I d/l'd the July 1st, but
> > apparently didn't):
> > FreeBSD beaglebone 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r284814: Thu Jun 25 20:55:47 UTC 2015     root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/BEAGLEBONE  arm
> >
> > It detects the display properly, but it does not appear to output
> > anything to the TV.  I cannot select the input as the TV claims that
> > there is nothing connected...
> >
> > Vendor: [SAM] Samsung
> > Product: [0B92] SAMSUNG
> > [...]
> > Number of extension blocks: 1
> > fb0: detected videomode: 1440x900 @ 60KHz
> > fbd0 on fb0
> > VT: initialize with new VT driver "fb".
> >
> > There does appear to be a getty running:
> > 607 v0  Is+   0:00.02 /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv0
> >
> > Comments?  Suggestions?
>
> Hmm, I did try some gonzo's work-in-progress patches before he
> commited them. I had a problem with some monitors because of not to
> much robust method how video clocks frequencies are selected.
> Fortunatelly, I had another monitor which was able to show video
> signal frequencies even if the video output was out of supported
> range.

Ok, I did try on a proper computer monitor instead of a TV (though I
have a feeling lots of people want to use their BBB w/ their TV more
than a computer monitor), and it worked...

Vendor: [DEL] Dell
Product: [A091] DELL U2713H
[...]
Range:
        Horizontal: 29 - 113 kHz
        Vertical: 49 - 86 Hz
        Max Dot Clock: 280 MHz
[...]
Preferred mode: 2560x1440 @ 60Hz
Number of extension blocks: 1
fb0: detected videomode: 1280x1024 @ 60KHz
fbd0 on fb0
VT: initialize with new VT driver "fb".

So, looks like the video mode selection needs to be improved some, or
my TV is presenting modes that it doesn't support...  I'll investigate
further...  I did notice that none of the 24Hz or 30Hz modes are
presented, and I know that at least on MacOSX, they are around..

Also, when I unplug/plug the HDMI cable, I don't see any reprobing of
EDID information...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579