Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 1995 13:07:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, bugs@warlock.win.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FIX FOR CACHE/DMA RANGE PROBLEMS (was Re: new SNAP)

> > > The other cache problems are based on a succeptability code for the
> > > driver, or on global succeptability.  A driver that can't tell an ISA
> > > card from an EISA card *must* either note that it can screw up on DMA
> >
> > How about checking for the EISA ID ?
>
> The EISA standard doesn't provide a requirement for the amount of per slot
> CMOS memory (I found this out when trying to write a UNIX EISA config
> utility, it being my opinion that requiring DOS to configure a machine
> is an abortion).

What does this have to do with checking the EISA Card ID regs to determine
if the ultrastore card is eisa?  Or are you talking about isa cards (like the
2842) that have EISA id regs so they can be found via an EISA probe?  I thought
the problem with the ultrastore probe was that it didn't do a standard EISA
probe, but instead relied on the fact that the eisa cards will respond in the
same way as isa cards.

> This may be something that requires VM86() to allow us to call the EISA
> BIOS for it to work properly.

I would love to be able to do an EISA config from within FreeBSD.  More over,
the aic7770 driver could get all of the per target info from the EISA config
area instead of relying on Adaptec's BIOS to do this for you at POST.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1