Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:56:32 +0200
From:      Niall Martin <niall-m@post2.tele.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   newbie has problems compiling ports..

Hi,

First I would like to say 1000 thank yous for FreeBSD. It's a
fascinating set of systems, and has done a lot to get me interested in
Unix-like systems again after some bad experiences with Redhat.

I have managed to painlessly configure terminal access, ISP dialup and
XFree86, and have even installed Netscape by downloading and typing
"make install"

However, I am having the same problem when trying to compile many of the
ports, so I thought you might be able to explain the problem.

When I do a "make install" in /usr/ports/(category)/(program name)
it successfully downloads the port and begins to install it, but often
(not always) stops with an error when it reaches:-

imake -DUseInstalled -I /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
Imakefile.c:8: Imake.tmpl:No such file or directory
imake:Exitcode 33

Please excuse any syntax errors above, but I hope you get the general
idea. I've searched the mailing lists and handbook (which i have printed
out) with no joy. Maybe I need to install extra src files or something?

I would like to end by saying thanks again for opening my eyes up to a
whole new world in OS'es. The others can carry on playing with win95/98
while I can deal with solvable problems. eg. no blue screen with FATAL
EXCEPTION AT ADDRESS 00EA:0099FFHH - haha.

My best regards, and good luck with future releases,

Niall Martin - niall-m@post2.tele.dk

ps. I am trying to successfully network my BSD box with an NT server,
using the BSD box as a proxy. It's going ok so far - would a doc
regarding this be a good idea as there is nothing in the handbook?