Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:51:30 -0700
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   bugus rc.conf.d locations recently committed to -STABLE?

I am now having difficulty with bringup on my -STABLE system. I get what
looks like bogus warnings:

root: /etc/rc: WARNING: Warning: /etc/rc.conf.d/ntpdate is deprecated,
please use /etc/rc/etc/rc.conf.d/ntpdate instead.

and

root: /etc/rc: WARNING: Warning: /etc/rc.conf.d/sendmail
is deprecated, please use /etc/rc/etc/rc.conf.d/sendmail instead.

but this doesn't make sense and is impossible as /etc/rc is a regular
file, not a directory.

There were warnings for /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 to go
into /usr/local/etc/rc.conf.d and /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.conf.d.  These make
sense. They correspond to /etc/rc.d and /etc/rc.conf.d.

Also, I have port cyrus-imapd-2.2.13_2 and it
installs /usr/local/etc/rc.d/imap.  This script has an internal name of
"cyrus_imap", but instead of wanting /usr/local/etc/rc.conf.d/cyrus_imap
as would be the completely logical place for it, I have to place it
in /usr/local/cyrus/etc/rc.conf.d/cyrus_imapd.

Seems like it bases the location upon where the binary is as opposed to
where the rc script is.  Same thing happens with slapd.  I told it to
put the rc script in /etc/rc.d/slapd when I configured the port.  But it
warns me that it wants the rc.conf.d
in /usr/local/libexec/slapd/etc/rc.conf.d/slapd.  This is very counter
intuitive to me.

What is the logic behind this and why was it MFCd in a non-working
condition?  Like I said, many of my daemons did not start even though I
could start them by running the script by hand.  So I'm guessing that
maybe rcorder isn't working with this new configuration.