Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:30:51 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Richard Arends <richard@unixguru.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lenovo IBM Thinkpad T60

--==_Exmh_1164040251_1125P

> Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:36:44 +0100
> From: Richard Arends <richard@unixguru.nl>
>
> On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:30:51PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> Kevin,
>
> > First, snd_hda had never been in STABLE.
>
> Okay, i thought i did see some notes about snd_hda and
> STABLE on 'google'.
>
> > It is quite new and was added
> > to CURRENT too late to be adequately tested before the freeze to prepare
> > for 6.2-Release. I suspect it will be MFCed fairly soon as the the
> > freeze on STABLE should be thawing (or might already be doing so).
>
> That will be great.
>
> > I believe that acpi_ibm should provide some fan control, but the fan is
> > really not much of a power sink.
>
> I found some fan control scripts for Linux which can fairly easy adapted
> to FreeBSD. I will look in to that real soon, or has somebody else written
> already a script, or is looking into it?
>
> > Make sure that you install radeontool
> > from ports. It will let you turn off the display (not just the
> > back-light) and the DAC for the video out.
>
> # radeontool light
> The radeon backlight looks off
> # radeontool light on
> # radeontool light
> The radeon backlight looks off
>
> # radeontool dac
> The radeon external DAC looks on
> # radeontool dac off
> # radeontool dac
> The radeon external DAC looks on
>
> Unfortunate it does not look to work for the T60.

This is very odd. What video chipset does your system use? The tools is
supposed to be very hardware agnostic and works on every Radeon system I
have tried it on including a variety of controllers.

> > Try setting hw.pci.do_power_nodriver="1" in /boot/loader.conf. That will
> > help (or crash the system). It works on my T43. You can then up the
> > value to "2" or "3". I have yet to try "2", but "3" prevents by T43 from
> > booting. Maybe the T60 will do better. Larger values result in more
> > aggressive PCI power control.
>
> Okay, i putted it on 3 and FreeBSD did not boot anymore. Value 2 works!

Sounds like my experience except that I have only tried values of '1' and
'3'. Guess I'll try '2' today and see what happens.

> > Finally, limiting the CPU speed while on battery is a winner. If you
> > use Gnome, use the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor and kill powerd. You
> > can then manually set the speed. Try to enable EST. Add
> > hint.est.0.disabled="1" to /boot/loader. It is not a win for my system,
> > but it should be.
>
> That will enable it, or disable it?? hint.est.0.disabled="1" seems to me that
> it will disable est. I did set it anyway :)

I need to think before typing. I was at a conference at the time and
plead lack of sleep.

What I SHOULD have said was to add cpufreq_load="YES" to your
/boot/loader.conf. The line I sent would have disabled EST if it had
been there, but it was not because of the lack of the cpufreq module.

> > Even though I have these on my T43, Windoows still stretches battery
> > quite a bit. I get about 3.5 hours on FreeBSD and about 5 on Windows.
>
> :(

I think disk is a significant issue. Widows is fairly aggressive in
powering down the disk. There are tools in ports to allow you to do this,
but I have not had the time to play with them very much and have no idea
if they are beneficial.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)