Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:10:13 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 21st Century Unix - web serving

Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> I wish somebody would put some substance to such anecdotal stories.
> I'm currently quite close to a Linux box which gets slashdot-like
> effects (basically caused by minor access spikes and a badly written
> backend that causes the load to explode), and so far it seems to
> hold up quite well.

What's the swap (and general memory footprint) usage and i/o rate during
peak?

> And FreeBSD certainly doesn't work magic. A few months ago, I did
> a simple test. Ten processes, each one allocated some memory and
> ran in a loop doing nothing but continuously writing a byte to each
> page of its chunk of memory. I chose the process count and memory
> allocation to cover 1.5x the size of the real memory of the box.
> When I started the test, the hard disk light lit up solidly and
> for all pratical purposes the box ground to a halt. No more movement
> under X11. No more switching back to a text console. No more network
> login. I watched for some time with amusement and finally pressed
> the reset button.

Precisely what real-world conditions you planned to test with THAT? :-)

Hey, open a socket in each process to another server, and write
regularly to it. Then benchmark that in a FreeBSD against a Linux box.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

        One IP to bring them all and in the zone bind them.