Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:32:58 +0100
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, chair@ispa.org.uk
Subject:   Re: News...

Michael Dillon wrote:

> Rather than just targetting alt.binaries.* and zap everything, target any
> message that is in a binary encoding format. In other words, USENET is for
> messages, discussions, etc. so zap anything that is abusing USENET by
> using it as a file transfer medium. Don't accept UUencoded messages or
> Base64 or any other recognizable binary format. Text is OK and so is HTML
> because these are message formats, not file formats.

> IMHO the solution is to clean up binaries from USENET and force people to
> use file transfer protocols (FTP, HTTP, DCC, FSP) to transfer files.

Yup this would be a good thing to do, just think of all the traffic that
would dissapear from the net and the relief on ISPs news servers.  We
can't do it unilateraly of course so maybe this is where ISPA (at least
in the UK) can help.  I would block all non-text articles if other UK
ISPs do the same, otherwise I'm just putting myself at a competetive
disadvantage.  Only a small proportion of customers read the news groups
now anyway.

regards
damian

--
* PIAB - PoP In A Box - the total solution for ISPs, with more features
* than a Constable landscape, and very cheap too!!