Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 07:52:20 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd not letting me in from dhcp

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 11:42:46PM -0700, David Daugherty wrote:
> Ok, the ssh daemon isn't being started in rc.local or inetd.conf. Where
> can I add this flag. I'm not sure where ssh starts from.

It actually starts from /etc/rc and you could set "sshd_flags" in
rc.conf, but this is not what you want to do. Log in as root and kill
the existing sshd(8), if it is running, and then start it at the
command line as,

  # sshd -d

The whole idea is that when run this way it does not drop to the
background, but stays at the front and shows verbose diagnostic
output. It does not make a lot of sense to do that at startup since it
would bring the startup process to a screeching halt.