Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:01:30 -0500
From:      Michael Scheidell <scheidell@freebsd.org>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Barbara <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>
Subject:   Re: repocopying games/linux-enemyterritory-jaymod

On 1/10/12 9:09 AM, Barbara wrote:
> I noticed that there is a new version of jaymod (2.2.0).
> I have an updated port ready, but I would like to know if it's possible to
> copy the one currently in ports (2.1.7) as - let me say - linux-enemyterritory-
> jaymod-217.
> The reason behind that request is that 2.1.7 is compatible with linux-
> enemyterritory-omni-bot-0660, which is in fact a copy of linux-enemyterritory-
> omni-bot stuck at 0.660 for compatibility reason with jaymod.
> The new version of jaymod I'm going to send will be compatible with the
> current version of linux-enemyterritory-omni-bot (which I'm maintaing yet).
> So it will result in (compatibility):
> linux-enemyterritory-omni-bot-0660->linux-enemyterritory-jaymod-217
> linux-enemyterritory-omni-bot->linux-enemyterritory-jaymod
> while at the moment:
> linux-enemyterritory-omni-bot-0660->linux-enemyterritory-jaymod
> linux-enemyterritory-omni-bot->no jaymod version
>
> If that is possible, I just need some time to fix CONFLICTs and RUN_DEPENDS
> and do some tests.
>
> As "counteroffer", I would ask to take the maintainership for omnibot-0660 and
> both jaymod ports.
>
> I can figure out that there is not many people interested in that, but maybe
> someone may dislike one or both of the new versions loosing fun from the game,
> and being it just a game, I think that it's not good.

lets start by opening a PR for each port, offering to take maintainership.

(edit-pr.. I think the class is 'change-request')

once you are approved as maintainer, you would then ask a committer to
set class for repocopy.

and, maybe you can just set class as repocopy in the initial pr.

include patches against the COPY in your PR
GNATS will auto assign it to portmgr, who will make the copy (which
preserves the cvs history),
once copy is made, it will be re-assigned back to the pool, or a
committer who will commit your changes.

(look for repocopy examples in porters handbook)

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation