Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:57:47 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions about the various /boot/loader scripts

John Polstra wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how all these loader scripts fit together,
> and I have some questions.  First, my understanding is that the
> scripts are included like this (indentation signifies nesting):
>
>     /boot/loader.rc
>       /boot/loader.4th
>         /boot/support.4th
>     ["start" command executes]
>       /boot/defaults/loader.conf
>       /boot/loader.conf
>       /boot/loader.conf.local
>
> Now for my questions:

And some authoritative (sp?) answers...

> 1. Is the above diagram correct?

Yes.

> 2. "/boot/loader.conf" and "/boot/loader.conf.local" are entirely
> site-specific, and can be used to override the defaults from
> "/boot/defaults/loader.conf" -- correct?

Yes.

> 3. If I want to add some site-specific script code, as opposed to
> overriding variable settings, where is the best place to put it?

1) Edit /boot/loader.rc and stop using "start". See loader.4th for
alternatives. Specifically, you can replace "start" with the following:

initialize
<insert your code>
boot-conf

2) Append the following line to /boot/loader.conf:

exec="include /boot/myscript.4th"

> 4. Shouldn't these scripts installed on the Alpha too?  Currently,
> none of them are.

Alpha's loader doesn't have the FICL library, only the builtin commands.
I don't have an alpha to do the porting. Peter and O'Brien helped some
(a lot, in fact -- thanks!), but the thing is simply not working in
mysterious ways. Someone capable of using Alpha's debugger will have to
step in and trace the code to see exactly what is breaking. It appears
to be related to size, not any particular code in FICL.

> 5. Except for "/boot/defaults/loader.conf", are any of the installed
> scripts architecture-specific?

In theory, no. Support.4th code might need some changes to deal with
alignment correctly. I don't recall being particularly careful with
that, I'm afraid... That's a bug, not a architecture dependency, though.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
who is as social as a wampas

dcs@newsguy.com