Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 13:17:20 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com (M C Wong)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [2.1R] what happens when swap is full ?

M C Wong stands accused of saying:
>     I just have a lock up of the system in X session after loading
> the swap space with as high as 96% and I think it's growing. In fact
> the whole system just hangs again. Note, this is also a follow-up with
> some paging errors which posted before and now I disabled the sd0s1b
> leaving only wd0s2b (which is smaller) to see if the previous paging
> errors will go away.

Sorry, I don't recall your paging errors message; could you repost the
bare details?

>     Is this the expected behavior when the swap is (nearly) full and
> more pages then available needed to be paged out ?

I don't think the system is allowed into overcommit anymore, so you should
get processes killed off or not starting in the first place as you run
out of swap.

>     Sorry I asked since I can't see any log/trace/message, and this
> seems to happen overnight (while I was dreaming away ...).

That's unusual, unless you have something running overnight with a
memory leak.  You're not running xperfmon by any chance are you?

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[