Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 02:57:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jcwells@u.washington.edu
Subject:   Re: Keyboard Not Responding With X startup

Jason C. Wells wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > If I start xdm during init time from /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d the keyboard does
 > not respond. I cannot xlogin. I cannot CTRL-ALT-F* to another terminal. I
 > cannot CTRL-ALT-BSP to kill the server. I cannot CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart
 > the box. I am forced to stare at xlogin.
 > [...]
 > It used to be that I would see the 'login:' prompt on the console before X
 > would start. Now X starts before the local daemons finish there startup.
 > Also, xdm-errors shows that X is starting on VT2 instead of VT4.

You should not start X before init has finished running /etc/rc
and starting all of its gettys (according to /etc/ttys).
Otherwise init will try to start a getty on the same vty on
which X is running, which is a Bad Thing.

Try "sleep 10" or something like that before starting X.
I think XFree also has an option to force it to use a certain
vty.

The easiest way to avoid all of those problems would be to
run xdm from /etc/ttys.  I think there's even a (disabled)
example entry in that file.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)