Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 10:14:35 -0800
From:      bmah@cs.Berkeley.EDU (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        nate@sri.mt.net (Nate Williams), mheller@student.uni-kl.de, hackers@freebsd.org, bmah@cs.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:   Re: Q: Somebody working on more recent binutils ?

Peter Dufault writes:

> > > I'd like to know if someone is porting gas/ld 2.6 or 2.5.x ?
> >
> > Gas works already, ld is not going to happen anytime soon, if at all.
> >
> > > To have a more recent gas/ld than the ones coming with the
> > > distribution is absolutely necessary for running g++ 2.7.2
> > > andd libg++2.7.1 because g++ needs the .weak symbols in
> > > some circumstances to produce the 'right' code.
> >
> > Are you absolutely *sure*?  According to recent reports posted to this
> > list (today or yesterday) it isn't necessary.  All that's required is to
> > remove the creation of .weak symbols by gcc2.7.2.
>
> All I really know so far is that Ptolemy builds and at least some
> demos run without the .weak symbol support.  I was just going to test
> things some more.  I'd sure like the definitive
> answer on .weak symbols and the need in g++.

#undef LURK
Another data point:  I'm working on a very large IP-over-ATM network simulator
(~26,000 lines of C++).  To date, I've seen identical results on my DEC Alpha
at work (Digital UNIX 3.2, g++ 2.7.2) and my PC at home (FreeBSD
2.1.0-RELEASE, g++ 2.7.2 with "no .weak symbol" patch).  So far, no
indications of compiler malfunctions.

Bruce.
#define LURK 1