Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 09:39:51 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Don't hit..

> Here's a really warped and twisted idea I just got..  You know how
> most commercial software installers take advantage of the "dead time"
> during system installation to give the user lots of handy tips on
> the kinds of things they might encounter or how to send off a warranty
> registration card, etc and so forth?  Well.  Erm..

Deja vu!

I did the exact same thing for our advanced hydrometeorological
display system.  It takes a long time to initialize, so I whipped up
some Tcl/Tk code to show the NOAA and FSL logos, a progress indicator,
and randomly chosen handy tips.  It was a way to let forecasters know
about features they might not've realized existed.

EVERYONE HATED IT!  :-(

The main reason was that after the third crash and restart, the last
thing a forecaster wanted was a perky, helpful, and annoying set of
tips scrolling by---especially when he's trying to get a tornado
warning out to the public.

Of course, FreeBSD's situation is different, and a set of tips might
actually help out in some cases.  But consider all the possible
mindsets a user might be in during an install ... ``Damn, I
misconfigured the port address!  Damn, I didn't leave enough space for
/usr/games!  Damn, it panicked!  Damn, these tips are annoying!''

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov