Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 1995 11:14:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        hsu@cs.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        hsu@cs.hut.fi, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Wiring

Heikki Suonsivu writes:
(...)
> Something I would assume it should be:
>
> disk sd0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0
> disk sd1 at scbus0 target 1
> disk sd2 at scbus0 target 2
> disk sd3 at scbus0 target 3
> disk sd4 at scbus0 target 4
> disk sd5 at scbus0 target 5
> disk sd6 at scbus0 target 6
> tape st0 at scbus0 target 4
> tape st1 at scbus0 target 5
> device cd0 at scbus0 target 6

(...)
> SunOS uses a kludge, target x lun y becomes sd(2*x+1).  Not nice, but at
> least it has got a fixed mapping.

(...)

Am I right that your concern is that the default behavior of a
FreeBSD kernel is potentially wondering SCSI disks, and that providing
the capability of wiring down the disks is only a partial solution,
since the majority of the great unwashed won't wire them down and will
be likely to be hurt by this?

If we built a kernel using your table above my disks would move around.
Also, my tapes will show up as st2 and st3
since they aren't at those targets.

I can't see how to change this without having a big upgrade headache
and incompatability with existing kernels.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936