Date:      25 Sep 2001 18:13:57 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Chris <chris@chrisland.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

Chris <chris@chrisland.net> writes:

> Isn't that when we configure an IP on an interface, it will
> automatically create a route for the corresponding "connected" network?

Which seems more like a bug than a feature to me.  Been giving me all
kinds of grief.  Even doing "ifconfig if# up" creates a unwanted network
route which I then have to delete so packets will go to my gateway
instead of out the interface as if there was no gateway.  It seems to be
designed on the assumption that we have sufficiently large number of IP
addresses to waste a lot of them on subnets.  I'd think that ifconfig
(or is it the kernel) would at least have auto-routing optional.