Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 12:07:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@synet.net>
To:        dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fonts with .bdf extension

> From: Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
>
> On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Dave Bodenstab wrote:
>
> > > Good question.  The font tutorial at
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/fonts/fonts.html doesn't mention them, so
> > > I have this feeling they aren't supported.
> > >
> > Use ``/usr/X11R6/bin/bdftopcf'' and either put the result in one of
> > the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/* directories or put the result in another
> > directory (remembering to put the new directory in the XF86Config file.)
> > Then run ``xset fp rehash''.  You can also add a new font directory with
> > xset without modifying XF86Config if you want.
> >
> > You also need to run ``mkfontdir'' in the directory that the new .pcf file
> > lives in order to update ``fonts.dir''.  Do this before the xset.
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> Would it be possible to add this to the tutorial?

When I last looked at the tutorial, it appeared that there had been
some minor changes with formatting, html references, etc.  If I could
get the current sgml source, I could easily make the changes.  In addition,
I've also gotten ``groff -X'' working (gxditview) so the groff output can
be previewed directly without going thru ghostscript.

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@synet.net