Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 02:05:06 -0400
From:      "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@onyx.interactive.net>
To:        Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where Are My Commands

>  Are the directories on your current path ??

I am elated! Randy, you hit the nail right on the head.

I was about to email you and say something like "Er, uh, um, how do I find out
if it is not, and how do I fix it", but I went back to my stack of
UNIX/FreeBSD/Linux books, couldn't find the answer in the first 4 or 5 I
looked in (I have tried to figure paths out before, only getting more confused
in the process), checked in UNIX in a Nutshell, and WHAM! A cross between
lightning and a lightbulb above my head! That was the problem, and I have
fixed it. I now have X up (fvwm, not the default!), and my commands are
working, and I just learned a _lot._ Paths and shell environments!!

There is nothing like the satisfaction when you've learned something. (This
may seem like a small thing, but it means that I have come along enough to be
able to make sense of something new in _UNIX in a Nutshell_, and the first
time I looked in the book it was all gobbledygook to me.)

My thanks to you, Randy, for your question, and your answer!

[Maybe Greg Lehey could add a comment about paths at the end of Chapter 7 of
_The Complete FreeBSD._ The /usr/X11R6/bin path was not added, xinit and
startx didn't, and as a newbie I was flummoxed. :) ]

Thanks again!
--

Chris Booth
cbooth@onyx.interactive.net