Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 07:21:47 -0700
From:      "Steve Dobbs" <sdobbs@stupid.com>
To:        jandrese@mitre.org, kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE2.2 build problems (update)

Well, I've successfully got KDE2.2 installed, so I figured that I would post what I had to do so the archive might help someone.  I ended up having to
1)install portsdb,
2)pkg_delete'ing all kde packages,
3)make install on kdelibs2
4)make install on kde2

After that, everything seemed to work fine, until I locked my screen.  Then I discovered that I couldn't unlock it.  After searching the kde mailing list archives, I found out that setting the setuid bit on /usr/local/bin/kcheckpass would fix the problem.  Does anyone have any comments on this?  Also, root cannot log into kde, and it was able to before I upgraded/reinstalled.  I haven't looked into that too much, as I only su to root, but it's still annoying that it's broke and I'll try to find out why during my copious spare time...

>Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:17:23 -0700
> Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com> Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>CC: Steve Dobbs <sdobbs@stupid.com>, stable@freebsd.org
> Re: KDE2.2 build problems
>

>Jason Andresen wrote:
>>
>> Steve Dobbs wrote:
>> >
>> > Ok, I have installed portsupgrade, and ran it like you suggested.  I
>> > tried to build kdebase2 (on both boxes) and I still get the "no such
>> > file" message.  I tried to install kdelibs2 by itself, and I get an
>> > error saying that I have KDE1 headers installed and that installing
>> > this port will result in a conflict between kde1 and kde2.  I don't
>> > have kde1 installed, so how can I get the kde1 headers?
>>
>> Hmm, the kde port check for the existance of the file:
>> /usr/local/include/kfm.h
>>
>> Presumably if you have this file you have other kde header files.
>> If the port record is gone from the install, you may have to hand
>> pick through all of the header files in /usr/local/include starting
>> with k to determine which ones are for kde1 and delete them by hand.
>>
>> KDE installs a LOT of header files unfortunatly, so it won't be
>> particularly easy.  Unfortunatly it's pretty important that you get rid
>> of those old header files, since they can introduce subtle bugs (or
>> even straight up crashes) into the program (if you're lucky they'll
>> just prevent the program from compiling).
>
>I did a "grep KDE *" in /usr/local/include and there are kde header
>files that don't begin with k. I don't know how deep you need to go.
>
>Kent
>

>> --
>>   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
>>  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer
>> _|  _|___|  _| _|_\___| Office: 703-883-7755
>
>--
>Kent Stewart
>Richland, WA
>
>It is hard to believe you are soaring with Eagles (las águilas)
>when you accept SPAM like a mouse (el ratón).
>
>mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com
>http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/index.html
>FreeBSD News http://daily.daemonnews.org/

Steve Dobbs