Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:06:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
To:        ianjhart@ntlworld.com
Cc:        behanna@zbzoom.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc0 data parity error

On 26 Jun, ian j hart wrote:
> Chris BeHanna wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, ict technician wrote:
>>
>> > I'm trying out some new motherboards and I'm getting these errors
>> > when I stress the ATA disk.
>> >
>> > ahc0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x9
>> > ahc0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase
>>
>>     I see this all the time on my 3950U2B (which is plugged into a
>> Gigabyte GA-7DX, AMD chipset), even when there's no data traffic on
>> the SCSI channels.  I didn't see these on a 440BX-based motherboard.

I haven't seen that with my Gigabyte GA-7DX+ and 2940UW.  There are some
documented compatibility issues between the AMD-761 northbridge and VIA
southbridge on these boards (see AMD's web site, though the symptoms
don't sound all that similar), and there have been issues with VIA
chipsets getting properly initialized by the BIOS.  Maybe Gigabyte fixed
the hardware between the GA-7DX and GA-7DX+, or maybe there is a BIOS
update that fixes this problem.

>>     The only SCSI device I have in the box currently is a CD-RW, and
>> I've never had errors on it.
>>

> I couldn't reproduce the problem using the LEX board, so I went
> with that.
>
> If this is harmless why write a bright warning to the console?
> (Not to mension filling the log file).

If I saw these errors, I'd be worried.  Something that causes parity
errors could also be corrupting data.