Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:25:59 -0500
From:      Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: Hifn 7955/7956 crypto accelerator questions

--nextPart1437141.mV4WKWOBQp

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 23:00, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 04:29 PM 10/31/2006, Nicolas Blais wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm looking to get a couple of Soekris vpn1401 (hifn 7955) or vpn1461
> > (hifn 7956) to do some performance tests in a military environment with
> > FreeBSD systems. Since this is a big project and I don't want to jump in
> > something destined to fail, I'll ask your expertise.
>
> Yes, regardless of what you read, you would want to test it
> first.  So for sure I would recommend you order a couple of Soekris
> boxes and test! test! test! :)

Well they are cheap, I think I'll try it even if I do not get the expected =
result.

> >1. After searching the mailing lists for reports of performance with
> > openssl and cryptop accelerators, I did not find anything that showed an
> > increase in performance with the cards (though some posts date back to
> > FBSD4.8). Does openssl today make correct use of the crypto hardware?
>
> OpenSSL and FAST_IPSEC will make use of it for sure.  However, there
> is a fair bit of overhead to offload the calculations from
> userland.  Generally, you wont see much of an improvement (if any) on
> a modern fast CPU with a single stream.  The place I find where a
> crypto card really helps with ssh is where you have multiple streams
> coming in at the same time.  For us, its a big help for our backup
> server to keep the cpu load down to a reasonable level when we have a
> dozen or so dumps and tars coming in over ssh all at once.  Even with
> just 3 or 4, it makes a difference for cpu utilization and overall
> throughput.

We are usually just using 1 stream per transfer session per host, but the s=
erver could be getting multiple streams. Perhaps it could help the server.

> >2. From what I understand, ssh is supposed to increase in performance wi=
th
> >those cards. Assuming two FreeBSD computers with crypto accelerators are
> >transfering big files (say sftp) in a cipher that the card and driver
> >supports, would the transfer rate be at or near clear-text speed (in a
> >100mbps link)?
>
> On a soekris ?  100Mb, I doubt it.  Not sure what speeds you would
> get, but you should try it and see if it would meet your needs

They do claim 500mbps throughput for the vpn1461 and 250mbps for the vpn140=
1. Then again, this remains to be proven :).=20

Currently, on a 100mbps link, an scp transfer between two computers uses ~4=
mbps. Transfering huge files (>GB) takes a very long time and even if I cou=
ld only double the rate to ~8mbps, the time saved would still be worth it (=
say 15min instead of 30min for a ~1GB). The goal would be to use the maximu=
m bandwith available.

> >3. How does GEOM_ELI uses crypto hardware to accelerate working with
> >encrypted
> >partitions? Again, with big file systems, would a gain in performance be
> >noticeable?
>
> Through the crypto(4) framework.  Something like a VIA C3 or C7 might
> give you better results here. I think pjd@freebsd.org (the author of
> geli posted some numbers a while back when he created the padlock
> driver for the crypto framework.  Although I really like the Soekris
> products, (they are rock solid reliable) if you really need more
> crypto performance, take a look at something based on the via C3 or
> C7 chips.  You can get some very fast AES encryption and there is
> very good FreeBSD support both through the padlock crypto driver as
> well as through openssl
>
> e.g.
> openssl speed -evp aes-256-ecb
>
> The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.
> type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192
> bytes aes-256-ecb      42023.12k    44053.24k    44642.50k    44622.43k  =
=20
> 44814.01k aes-256-ecb      37529.17k   142774.72k   390269.36k   678968.2=
5k
>   870247.80k
>

> The "slow" numbers are from an Intel Core DUO, 6400  @ 2.13GHz. The
> fast #s are from an C3 embedded board we use by Commell.
> CPU: VIA C3 Nehemiah+RNG+ACE (796.77-MHz 686-class CPU)

Wow that is surpringly fast! I just tried a test myself:
type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 byt=
es
aes-256-ecb      43367.29k    45096.90k    45855.74k    46049.83k    46084.=
44k
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ (2493.04-MHz 686-class CPU)

These systems (and numbers!) look nice, unfortunately I have to stay out of=
 the embedded :(

Nicoals.
=2D-=20
=46reeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #9: Tue Oct 31 15:44:23 EST 2006     nicblais@clk01a:=