Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:51:49 +0100
From:      "Marco van de Voort" <Marcov@stack.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Opinion asked: unicode encoding

Hi.

The fpc core team is currently working on unicode support for Free
Pascal, a pascal compiler that runs on FreeBSD/i386, and I would
like to ask your opinion about what encoding to choose for the
default multibyte string type. (Delphi's WideString), choices are UTF-
8 , -16 or UCS4.

Not only because you might have an opinion on what is going to be
the dominant encoding over time on FreeBSD (and *nix in general),
but also because our core members are mainly in countries which
are covered by cp850, and therefore have relatively little experience
with multibyte characters and their pitfalls.

Actually all three encodings and conversions will be implemented,
but only one will get full support (with all string operations available),
for the other two encodings, the compiler will insert automatic
conversions for the routines not overloaded for the less important
encodings.

Any opinions?