Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:33:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>, n0go013 <ttz@blahdeblah.demon.co.uk>, current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, not on list - please copy <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [ GEOM tests ] vinum drives lost

On 04-Oct-2002 Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, John Baldwin wrote:

>> > No, it is established principal tha the importer of new features has the
>> > responsibility to make older subsystems work.
>>
>> Oh, you mean like KSE on Alpha?
>
> What existing functionality on the alpha does KSE stop?

So you agree that requiring vinum users to turn off GEOM is ok?  Part
of adding a new feature is providing proof of concept that it works
for more than just one tiny case.  Also, if you actually have to make
it work on multiple cases, then you have to learn enough about other
cases to better enable you to make better-informed design decisions
that take other cases into account.  One KSE works on i386, what are
multithreaded ports like, oh, X, supposed to do when compiling with
-lpthread doesn't work?