Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 1997 01:53:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ksmm@cybercom.net (The Classiest Man Alive)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: msdosfs win95 long file name support

> : On second thought... After 'touch AAAAA~1' and 'touch AA~99999' you will
> : unable to create any long filename started with 'aa'. I am not sure if
> : it is a Good Thing(TM).
>
> Is anybody really going to create 100,000 files that start with the same
> two letters in the same directory?  I thought that there were limits on
> the number of files allowed in a directory that were lower than that.
> (Terry?)

I am on Christmas vacation...  However:

There is a limit of 512 FAT table entries in the top level directory;
this is including the volume label and the long file name entries for
files in the top level directory.

There is a limit of "however much disk space" for subdirectories.

Also, both approaches aren't using the same algorithm that MS uses
for generating "unique" 8.3 names.  The MS algorithm seperates the
lookup into a "prefix","suffix", and "numeric tail".  The directory
is passed and the tail starts counting until it gets a number that
isn't already taken.  So the "break" above won't break Win95.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.