Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:15:33 +0100
From:      Juergen Dankoweit <Juergen.Dankoweit@T-Online.de>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fam

Good morning,

Am Freitag, den 18.03.2005, 22:39 -0500 schrieb Adam Weinberger:
> Murray Stokely wrote:
> > How important is fam to GNOME.  Should we add a commented out entry to
> > inetd.conf?  Any comment on PR: conf/74004?
> >
> > - Murray
>
> What I'd like to see more than anything is a set of step-by-step
> instructions for getting fam up and running. I tried at one point, and
> couldn't get it to work right. If there were a handbook entry that gave
> step-by-step instructions, or a more complete pkg-message in the fam
> port itself, I wouldn't think that an inetd.conf entry is even necessary.
>
> # Adam

Good morning.

fam doesn't work on my Gnome-installation, too. Since fam was
introduced, it does not work. And I compiled in the fam-support!
I made several tests and looked in the console output what errors came
up, I corrected the source of error but nothing helped.
One error was, that a folder called "Template" is missing. I created it,
it doesn't help.
I also try to start it with a startup-script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
Suddenly it worked for only one user. After an other user has logged in,
fam doesn't work again.
So I gave up using fam.

I followed the instructions I found with google. No success.
I posted this problem in several newsgroups and boards. I didn't get any
answer.
Now I'm using "Ctrl+R" in Nautilus to see the new files. Not very
user-friendly.
If someone can tell what communication-parameters nautilus and fam are
using, then I will write  my own "fam" that will not need inetd.

Best regards.