Date:      Sun, 03 Dec 1995 00:48:58 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
Cc:        Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue@calweb.com>, Robert Watson <robert@fledge.watson.org>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ****HELP*****

> It would be better if the installer would just:
>  1) Overwrite older versions of programs with the newer versions
>  2) Delete any obsoleted programs (and preferably make symlinks to the
>     newer ones)
>  3) Add new files to existing system

Unfortunately, the raw materials that the installer has to work with
(distributions) aren't nearly that easily applicable to the more
general problem you'd like me to solve.  Only a filestore that allows
me to do file by file operations will allow for this kind of
intelligent merge.  A split, gzip'd tar file is not that kind of
filestore.

I'm happy, as always, to accept contributions of code that help
solve these problems! :-)

						Jordan