Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:01:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys" <rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl and Majordomo on FreeBSD 2.2-RELENG or 3.0-current?????

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys wrote:

> I need to install a majordomo server on a FreeBSD box.  Currently I am using
> an old AIX PS/2 box and a Sun box.  I can use either perl 4.36 or 5.04.
>
> Has anyone had any particular problems with majordomo severs on either
> 2.2 or 3.0 that I should be aware of ahead of time?  It seems to be in
> the ports builds on either revision level, on ftp.freebsd.org.  Perl seems
> to be at 5.004.01 on either revision level, also.  It sounds like it should
> build out of the box, fairly well.

It should work fine w/o any additional work.  We run it on a 2.2.1 (?) box
with no problems.

> From a sysadmin point of view, should
> I wait until 2.2.5 is released and use that as the basis, or is a current
> daily releng/current snapshot by ftp sufficient?  Once up, the machine
> is not likely to change very often and will mostly sit in the bilges and
> run until it crashes or dies of old age.

That's up to you how you want to deal with it.  If time is on your side,
then I'd wait for 2.2.5 to make sure final bugs are shaken out.  We're
starting to enter the test phase for that release.

> The projected machine will act as a majordomo server to about 300 accounts
> and act as a web server down the road, for a ham radio club.  It is a 16 meg
> ram generic pentium box at 120mhz or thereabout, and about a 1 gig drive.
>
> Are there any particular system settings for process limits, ulimits, etc.,
> that should be checked/set first?

You might check the login.conf limits; they seem to be set kinda low.

> Is a 1 gig drive sufficient?  I sense it will probably do, but might be
> a bit tight if webbing is added later.  Most users will be simple email
> list readers and the web pages will be minimal, and not likely to grow
> greatly.  At most, I would expect around a dozen or so users concurrently.
> I don't have a good feel for how much disk space to alot if most of the
> majordomo mail is kept on the machine, and not forwarded.  If half of it
> is forwarded out, then 1 gig might still be ok, I think.

I have have a 1 gig for my personal box, and we have a pair of 400mb's in
our 2.2.1 box running a small majordomo and web server, and there is
plenty of space left.  Most of it is used on our home directories. :)

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo