Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:45:13 +1100
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Jonathan Graehl <jonathan@graehl.org>, freebsd-Arch <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, i18n@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unicode, command line options, and configuration files, oh my!

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 12:02:07AM -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:
> Terry wrote:
> | In general, this means that for Unicode data stored for
> | directory entries would require that a directory entry
> | block would have to be 512b, whereas for UTF-8, we are
> | talking 2048b (2k).

It would still have to be larger than 512b using a 16-bit
encoding, wouldn't it?

> | If the same approach is used as the current UFS code uses,
> | then these operations will need to be directory entry block
> | atomic.
>
> In short, we can save the file name that the user sees
> with the file data.  The filesystem and the kernel sees
> some other naming scheme determined by the FS/kernel.

How do you propose to do that and still maintain Unix inode/link
semantics?  There isn't (necessarily) only one file name that
the user sees, but there _is_ only one lump of file data.

> | On top of that, we have Microsoft and Java interoperability to
> | consider, distasteful as that may be to some.
>
> M$ has a pretty good implementation here.
> Java I18N sucks really bad.

Could you give a quick description of why one of these is good
and the other bad, for the bennefit of someone who knows
neither?

--
Andrew