Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:55:19 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Hunter Peress <hu.peress@mail.mcgill.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BitTorrent Mirror of 5.0

--==_Exmh_1635906360P

If memory serves me right, Hunter Peress wrote:
> Hi, im on the BitTorrent team. (http://bitconjurer.org/bittorrent)
> In one line: its  a protocol and an implemenation for p2p sharing of
> specific files; its not a search network.
>
> Everything is free AND open.
>
> We mirrored 5.0 AS SOON as it came out, but we didnt get any publicity.
> ( http://tacos.sus.mcgill.ca/~hperes/BT_BSD5.0/ ). We posted a comment
> on /.  but it received little moderation.
>
> Unfortunately, BitTorrent is mainly being used by irc movie phreaks for
> illegitimate causes. 12,000 torrents of a 3gb LOTR2 were served in one
> day for example.
>
> BitTorrent is well tested for over a year, secure, and platform
> independant.
>
> Please email me, or join us on irc.freenode.net #bittorent. We would
> like you to put links of torrents on the freebsd webpage, not with the
> intent of replacing anything, but simply in addition to. There is so
> much value in doing this, you WILL see.

Hi Hunter--

I hadn't heard of your project before but the Web pages look
interesting!  My first thought is that I'd like to see people (in the
FreeBSD community) get a little more experience with BitTorrent before
we announce it as a distribution mechanism.  (Call me an old
conservative stick-in-the mud...)

But that doesn't prevent you from announcing it yourself.  Maybe post a
quick note to one or two of the FreeBSD mailing lists with the info
you've given here?  current@ would probably be appropriate and on-topic,
since that's essentially the development branch that's most concerned
with this.  Also, (almost) nothing's off-topic for chat@.

Cheers,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1635906360P