Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2023 04:19:35 -0700
From:      The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Release Engineering Team <re@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS-UP] Quick update to 14.0-RELEASE schedule

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 12:07:36AM -0500, Glen Barber wrote:
> And if there is a reason to reissue a release, the update will reflect such.
>
> So to answer your latter question, yes.  Unless it needs to be replaced.
>
> Glen
> Sent from my phone.
> Please excuse my brevity and/or typos.

> >> You are correct on all points.  If there were a need to re-roll 14.0, it
> >> would indeed necessitate a release/14.0.1 tag.  Note, release/14.0.0 has
> >> not yet been tagged, and I find it extremely unlikely that it will be
> >> necessary to rebuild from a release/14.0.1 tag.
> >>
> >> I also agree we cannot prevent people from downloading the images,
> >> installers, whatever before the announcement.  That is the lovely race
> >> condition with which we have to live at the moment.
> >>
> >> My email was intended to be informative.  Period.
> >>
> >> There were no suggestions that 14.0-RELEASE was not yet final.  And to
> >> be fair, I had to personally deal with the fallout of a release "too
> >> soon", notably 11.0-RELEASE, where I thought a critical issue had been
> >> addressed, but I was wrong.
> >>
> >> My only point, in being overly open to the public on the delay, is that
> >> we (the Release Engineering Team) are not yet ready to rubber-stamp this
> >> as complete, as there are some outstanding items that are pending that
> >> have not yet completed.
> >>
> >> The alternative would be to say nothing at all.
> >>
> >> Either way, it is a productivity, communication drain.  It is
> >> a lose-lose situation no matter how one looks at it given the above
> >> context.  We either get chastised for being "too open" into insights
> >> delaying an official announcement, or for being "not open enough" when
> >> there is silence from RE when a release does not meet its scheduled
> >> announcement date.
> >>
> >> Glen
> >>

> > What ahappened was that I inititated the freebsd-upgrade RELEASE upgrade command.
> >
> > question should that RELEASe been released?

Here is what happened.  Since Openssl 1.X is no longer supported
I switch to 14.0-RC4 and found for the most part
that RC4 is 98 % there.

Given the web site  saying expect a release notice around 10 Nov,

I deciced to try to see if 14.0 RELEASE was ready.

Since then  I found 1,

port openvpn is not stable

2, wireguard FrreBSD client to FreeBSD serve is not working

3) Dovecot is acting glitchy.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca