Date:      Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:17:47 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Pratt, Benjamin E." <bepratt@stcloudstate.edu>
Cc:        ai1@ipaccess.com
Subject:   Re: Incomplete Documentation??

Pratt, Benjamin E. wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I'm writing in regards to the FreeBSD Handbook section "VPN over IPsec"
> found at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ipsec.html.
>
> It seems to me the documentation is incomplete and I'm just writing to
> verify this.  My reasons for believing the documentation is incomplete
> are:
>
> 1) "This article presents a number of scenarios, and strategies for
> implementing a VPN for each scenario."
>
> 	I only see one scenario for implementing a VPN.
>
> 2) "3. Configure additional software on the FreeBSD gateways, to allow
> Windows machines to see one another across the VPN."
>
> 	I see the first two "stages" of implementing the first scenario
> but not the third.

Oddly enough, I'm seeing the exact same thing in my quest to understand
IPsec. ;)

> I came to the handbook, which has been incredibly helpful in many other
> instances, to try to find out how to create an IPsec VPN between an end
> user's machine, running either Windows 2000/XP or FreeBSD, and a remote
> network, as would be done in a traveling user, remote access from home,
> or wireless security scenario.  I'm sure many others have set this up
> but the first place I go to for FreeBSD documentation is the handbook.

http://www.sigsegv.cx/FreeBSD-WIN2K-IPSEC-HOWTO.html

Seems pretty good.
Is there any reason why this couldn't be incorporated into the handbook?
If a committer will back me up (with a promise to commit ;), I'll do the
legwork of converting it to docbook (as well as some editing ...)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies