Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:03:05 -0400
From:      Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No /boot/loader (dangerously dedicated)

Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Doug Barton wrote:
> >       As for geometry, I tried both with and without "dangerously
> > dedicated." My understanding was that if I used the dos partition entry
> > method that we should be able to pick up the geometry correctly, but
> > should I try the old dos fdisk trick as well? Also, would the adaptec
> > setting to translate >1G be affecting this? It's on currently, which it is
> > on all my other motherboards of similar vintage.
>
> Your boot disk is now *required* (or will be very very soon) to have a
> proper slice table in -CURRENT; dedicated disks are deprecated in order to
> get a smarter boot0.
>
> Speaking of boot0 you might try using boot0cfg to force packet mode.

Even though this does not directly affect -STABLE right now (I hope?), I
think it'd probably be a good idea to maybe turn off the dangerously
dedicated option in sysinstall (or at least turn the question off). At
least in -CURRENT if nowhere else, so no one shoots themself in the
foot.

This would defititely help out at work, as I would no longer get the
question from all of our users during the install "Should I be dedicated
or not?"

thomas r. stromberg                                  tstromberg@rtci.com
senior systems administrator                http://www.afterthought.org/
research triangle commerce, inc.                          1.919.657.1317

bless(\$Perl++);        # the power to hack.  http://www.perl.com/
#include <freebsd.h>   /* the power to serve. http://www.freebsd.org/ */