Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:47:56 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        Juergen.Dankoweit@t-online.de
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fam

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:15:33 +0100, Juergen Dankoweit
<Juergen.Dankoweit@T-Online.de> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> Am Freitag, den 18.03.2005, 22:39 -0500 schrieb Adam Weinberger:
>> Murray Stokely wrote:
>> > How important is fam to GNOME.  Should we add a commented out entry to
>> > inetd.conf?  Any comment on PR: conf/74004?
>> >
>> > - Murray
>>
>> What I'd like to see more than anything is a set of step-by-step
>> instructions for getting fam up and running. I tried at one point, and
>> couldn't get it to work right. If there were a handbook entry that gave
>> step-by-step instructions, or a more complete pkg-message in the fam
>> port itself, I wouldn't think that an inetd.conf entry is even
>> necessary.
>>
>> # Adam
>>

> Good morning.
>
> fam doesn't work on my Gnome-installation, too. Since fam was
> introduced, it does not work. And I compiled in the fam-support!
> I made several tests and looked in the console output what errors came
> up, I corrected the source of error but nothing helped.
> One error was, that a folder called "Template" is missing. I created it,
> it doesn't help.
> I also try to start it with a startup-script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
> Suddenly it worked for only one user. After an other user has logged in,
> fam doesn't work again.
> So I gave up using fam.
>
> I followed the instructions I found with google. No success.
> I posted this problem in several newsgroups and boards. I didn't get any
> answer.
> Now I'm using "Ctrl+R" in Nautilus to see the new files. Not very
> user-friendly.
> If someone can tell what communication-parameters nautilus and fam are
> using, then I will write  my own "fam" that will not need inetd.

fam works fine for me as long I don't have jail setup that have inetd and
rpcbind to only listen in host IP address. I haven't bother to write
startup script for fam or whatever, but if I ran it by manual by via CLI
and it will working w/out inetd.

The 'don't work' don't work for us to help you. You need to enable the
debug flag in inetd, rpcbind, and fam, you can find those in the man page.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org