Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 18:45:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Brown <ewb@zns.net>
To:        angio@aros.net, karpen@sea.campus.luth.se
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MD5 Crack code

Dave Andersen said:
>    SecurID is a challenge/response one-time authentication system.  You
> log on, the system tells you the challenge, you enter the challenge in to
> your SecurID calculator along with your calculator password, the calc.
> hands you back a response, you type the response in, you're authenticated.
> Good stuff for high-security applications.

I thought the Security Dynamics card had only an LCD display and no
keyboard. It generates a new password every minute. That plus a PIN
are used to gain access. So you have to HAVE the card and KNOW the PIN
- two factors. Exactly how it stays in time-sync with servers I don't
know. Maybe there is more to it... (speak up folks).  Yes
unfortunately the target customer seems to be high-end security
freaks (with $$), not ISPs and the ilk (sigh).

This IS a quite accurate description of Skey though, except
the "calculator" is a software application (with a resulting reduction
in security). Has anyone built a credit-card SKey calculator?

>> Why not simply something like SSL which is being developed and used a lot
>> just because the WWW is growing with enormous speed? If you have a secure
>> link, there is no need for a lot of hassle. You can send anything over the
>> socket and it'll be safe. Umm.. No?

IF there were SSL-enabled client applications such as FTP, telnet,
POP/IMAP mail programs for *all* platforms (well, windoze, 95, NT, and
MAC ) and not just for unix then that'd be great (Dave's comments
below withstanding).  But, the certificate issue and patent issues and
legal issues associated with crypto solutions are real problems.

I'm hunting for a real-today, practical password protection system,
Not the be-all, end-all solution to all privacy and authentication issues.

>    There's still a difference between a one-time password system and a
> constant password, and for security reasons, the one-time system is
> preferable if you can abide by the inconvenience of having to use it.
> Even if life is encrypted, there's always the off chance that someone
> could:
>    a) steal the original password (social enginnering, actual theft,
>                                    hacking the password file)
>    b) Use some form of playback attack against the system, because the
>       password doesn't change.  Yes, the encryption does, but it's one
>       more level of security.
>
>     For best results, add water, and let rest for twenty minutes.  Use both
> encryption and a one-time password scheme.
>
>   -Dave Andersen

Skey (which is a one-time password scheme based on MD4) provides ONLY
for authentication, not privacy. FreeBSD login already supports it
BTW. I view it as weaker than a strong encryption approach but it has some
big plusses - it is *not* crypto, so there are no Big Brother restrictions
on its use in the Land of the Free (correct me if I'm wrong net.lawyers),
and its a LOT simpler, AND it doesn't have to be inconvenient.

If Skey's client side was implemented within the clients rather than
as a separate calculator application (or hardware) then the clients
would be no harder to use than they are now (login: password:) but the
passwords would never be transmitted (in fact it would be safe to use
one password for multiple servers, and there is nothing extra to
remember).

To be painfully pedantic, an FTP client (say) with Skey knowledge
would observe the challenge (as opposed to normal login:), request the
secret seed password from the user (user sees "password:") generate
the one-time password using this info and complete the
authentication. To the user it looks EXACTLY like a "normal" login.

The problem is that there are no Skey clients, just as there are no
SSL (or other crypto) clients, for all platforms. I think it would be
a lot easier to build the Skey clients then the crypto clients. So why
am I not doing it?  Thought I'd see if anyone had already, or was
contemplating doing so, or could be coerced into it first :) Actually,
because re-inventing CuteFTP (eg) just to put in Skey seems
silly. More practical to try and get client authors to incorporate
Skey.  IMHO that simple step away from cleartext passwords would be a
big step forward for internet security.

Will Brown                  ewb@zns.net             Professional Web Design
Zygaena Network Services    http://www.zns.net      and Hosting
216-381-6019 (voice)        216-381-6064 (fax)      at reasonable prices