Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 10:51:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD-R driver alpha available

As Fred Cawthorne wrote:

> It turns out that my drive requires that the PF (page format) bit be
> set if there are any mode select pages in the MODE SELECT data.
> I just added it to the initialization of the scsi_cmd data structure.
> Perhaps it will work with your drive if you put this bit in there too?

Maybe, but it would violate the spec from Plasmon.  Yup, i've noticed
the PF bit in Linux' cdwrite, too.  The Yamaha doesn't use PF, either,
but it does everything totally different anyway.

> In both places, the scsi_cmd structure should be set to:
>
> 	scsi_cmd.op_code = MODE_SELECT;
>         scsi_cmd.byte2 |= SMS_PF;
>         scsi_cmd.length = dat_len;
>
> for it to work at all.  Otherwise, an error is returned from the
> HP drive.

Well, that's why there are quirk functions. :-)  Anyway: GOOD NEWS!
Jordan will love to hear this. ;)  (He's also got an HP drive...)

--
cheers, J"org