Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 22:24:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org (Philippe Regnauld), freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA comments

> > In the meantime, I *could* revert all of the kbdio and such changes from
> > 2.2 if you think it would help.  Whaddya think Jordan?
>
> That depends on how long you think it might take you to fix it. :-)
>
> I'm all in favor of forward progress, and certainly prefer it to
> retrograde motion, but you know our 2.2 release schedule as well as
> anyone and are closer to the problem, so...  What do *you* want to do,
> Nate? :-)

IMHO, I don't think we're going to have a tested solution ready for
2.2.  However, I'm not sure going back will *solve* the problem,
although it may make it less severe, since the problem was reported long
before we did the kbdio stuff.

My question (to you) is do we ship something that is possibly 'more'
broken (unknown), or back up to old (known to be broken, possibly less)
broken code for the release, which breaks support for PS/2 mice.

If you think the probably is severe enough I'm willing to retrograde,
but I'm not sure (and I *really* mean that I don't know) if it'll buy us
anything.

If at least one person who is experiencing the problem will contact me
*soon* (like in the next 24 hours) and is willing to work with me I will
provide them with the old code to see if it makes the problem
better/worse.  Only then will I be able to make a good decision on to
backout the code or keep it as it stands.

If I don't hear anything from one of the people experiencing the problem
I'll assume the problem isn't severe enough to warrant backing out the
new code.

Fair enough?

Nate