Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 1997 15:48:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        ashworth@cs.montana.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Executable signature?

In a previous message, Justin Ashworth said:
> Is it possible to create an executable signature? I'd like to tag a quip
> from /usr/games/fortune onto my signature after my name. I've tried
> writing a .signature with a shebang (#!) line in PERL and sh to no
> avail. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

I do that. Well, not exactly. What you want is a named pipe.
They're pretty easy to use. You'll have a daemon running in
the background, writting to the pipe (.signature) and your
mail program reads from it as normal.

--
  The sun was shining on the sea,        He did his very best to make
     Shining with all his might:             The billows smooth and bright--

               And this was odd, because it was
                  The middle of the night        --Lewis Carroll