Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 07:46:11 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        stesin@gu.net
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI Advansys controller...

>On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>
>> I haven't done any side by side benchmarks between the two cards, but the
>> architecture that the AdvanSys cards use doesn't strike me as really
>> high performance.
>
>	Back in 1994 I did have some experience with PCI Advansys
>	SCSI controllers, under SCO UNIX.  They were noticeable
>	slower than any of NCR 53c810 and Adaptec 2940.
>
>Best regards,
>Andrew Stesin

If you had one of the early AdvanSys controllers, the latency timer
is explicitly set to 0 to get around a bug.  This, above and beyond
the architecture used to talk to the cards, really kills performance.
It was corrected in Rev C and higher of the non-ultra Asc1200 chips
and is not a problem in the Ultra line.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations