Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 19:31:05 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: they have mail

On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 12:06:12AM -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 08:58:42AM +1100, Sue Blake wrote:

> > > I do not want to receive a copy of their mail, just know about it so I
> > > can advise them.

> You can have xbiff point at different files.
> For instance, I have the various FreeBSD lists procmail'd to different
> folders, so I have a script that does the following:
> xbiff -geometry blah &
> xbiff -file /home/fullermd/mail/f-questions -geometry blah

Thanks, that'll be ideal while I'm running X and on site!

When telnetting to an un-X-worthy 386 to check mail, how about this:
The users have their mail forward (back to themselves and) to a
dummy user. That works fine now.

The dummy user then tries some tricks, as dummies do :-)

sue@phoenix$ ls -l ~dummy/.forward ~dummy/notifysue
-rw-rw-r--  1 root   dummy  32 Feb  3 17:58 /home/dummy/.forward
-rwxr-xr-x  1 dummy  dummy  44 Feb  3 18:36 /home/dummy/notifysue

~dummy/.forward contains:
\dummy,
"/home/dummy/notifysue"

and ~dummy/notifysue contains:
echo x | mail | mail -s "== New mail ==" sue

Run manually, notifysue works a treat! But the .forward doesn't run it for
some reason.

The forward man page doesn't give away many details, but it does look like
the above should have worked.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-