Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 1997 22:01:47 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
Cc:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>, dg@root.com, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

Hi,

> Okay, I'm going to bite the bullet and put off my dream of owning an
> alpha and buy a dual processor machine to help out in the testing! :-)
> I'm about as capable as a slinky when it comes to coding anything
> as involved as the FreeBSD SMP kernel, but I can test the hell out of
> it and hopefully be useful in that regard.. I also need to move to
> -CURRENT soon to get more up to date info into the book I'm
> writing.. so it was inevitable..  ;-)

Great, testers are very important.  Part of being "stable" is working on the
hundreds of different hardware configurations that people will try to
run it on.  The developers can't begin to do that part of the work.
We need people who can report details of the failures, and are sophisticated
enough to apply patches we provide in an effort to solve the problems.

Another person is working on a web service to register hardware configurations,
mptables, etc, along with history tracking of the problems encountered.
Hopefully enough people out there will pop for dual systems to fill up
our database!

--
Steve Passe	| powered by