Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 95 11:17 WET DST
From:      pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Two questions/comments about latest -current snapshot....

In article <QjcpXSaSMV1b9lNUUF@transarc.com> you write:

>     2)  I notice that the SLIP driver has been changed to require a
>destination address for SIOCSIFADDR.  I've never been really sure
>what to fill in for this, since the device on the other end of my
>SLIP connection (a Cisco terminal server) doesn't really "look" like
>a traditional point-to-point interface - the other end doesn't have
>it's own, distinct IP address.

Well, CERFnet has you put cisco.master.address.1 in for this (where my
address is cisco.master.address.62)
I don't know how configurable a cisco is, so don't know if it will work
for any other provider...
i.e. I use:

ifconfig sl0 inet gate-pelican cit-dial.cerf.net netmask 255.255.255.0 down

with gate-pelican == 134.24.4.62 and cit-dial.cerf.net == 134.24.4.1 both
in /etc/hosts - the latter does match the dns entry (at nic.cerf.net) for
it but that isn't accessible when doing the ifconfig :-)  Since I only have
one active slip I don't have to use the reconfigure script.  ppp will be
different but it does its own ifconfig and route...

>I just put my SLIP address as both
>the interface address and the destination address, and that seems to
>work OK.  Is there something else I should be doing instead?  (OK, that's
>not strictly a FreeBSD question, but it is something I haven't had to
>worry about until my latest build of -current).

I *think* the cisco will work with almost anything in its subnet for
the destination, except the individual address for another slip customer...
(I presume here you have "locked" slip addresses like cerfnet does,
so dns will work; if not, then it may not work the same).

You might try the .1 address just to see if that works.  (or just stay as
you are.  If your provider's tech people are both knowledgable and friendly,
ask...)  I have no cisco manuals myself - the providers that I am dealing
with that have manuals to loan plan to use ascend 50's as far as I know,
and the cerfnet folks are too far away.

-- Pete