Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 22:40:31 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        dgy@rtd.com (Don Yuniskis)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: INDEX.fonts

> As I mentioned in my post, the prefix is there *for me* since I use
> that to distinguish between "FreeBSD 1.1.5.1R ", "DOS ", etc. fonts
> in my collection.  Otherwise, you'd have to invent some other way
> of differentiating between a "cp437" font that, perhaps, came from
> DOS, FBSD 1.1.5.1, 2.1R or somewhere else.

It is no matter from where the font comes, font internal structure
is what determine things. Our fonts are VGA adapter binary fonts,
check VGA hardware programming manual. They can be used in ANY
system which deals with VGA text mode (Linux, DOS, etc.)

> > "Code page" is IBM name for character sets, I don't think
> > that we need to use IBM names.
>
> Yeah, I guess we can pretend the "cp" in "cp437" means Completely
> Pretentious?  :>  I imagine that "code page" is the true origin of the
> "cp" prefix and, thus, used it in my description.  (Hey, it gets tough
> trying to come up with short little descriptions... :>

Yes, "cp" prefix means "Code Page" and IBM code pages used when
no more standard registry is available. VGA hardware default font
conforms IBM CP 437, so why it is under this name. But call *all*
characters sets as "Code Pages" leads to misunderstanding.

> Here, I used Microsplot's name for the "code page"  ;-)

Microsoft only supports some "code pages", the source of
all code pages is IBM.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.ru>