Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:03:39 -0500
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        robertj@wirehub.nl
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.7 available this weekend

robertj@wirehub.nl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I suppose there's still a demand for it (older machines, maybe?).
>
> Yes, my old 386 for example.
>
> It wil only run 2.2, not 3 or 4 (did not try 5).
>
> He hangs himself just after mounting the first disk or during his
> attempts to do this.
>
> It does not really matter how I installed it or at what
> machine I install or do make buildworld (I cannot wait for a old 386
> to finisch it...:) It's a strange story I try to solve for many weeks.
>
> Do you happen to know some hardware-support is dropped as of 3.2-R and
> later ?

Does your 486 only have 4MB of memory?  IIRC it was around 3.2 where the
requirement went up to 5MB.  Nowadays I think 8 is minimum.
Unfortunatly,
I know how hard it can be to find 2M+ 32 pin SIMMs for all of those 386
and 486 boards that only have 4 SIMM slots.  Worse, even when they are
installed, you have no guarentee that the system will even let you
address
that much.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org