Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 19:41:04 -0400
From:      david mankins <dm@k12-nis-2.bbn.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        lowell@world.std.com (Lowell Gilbert), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using ssh on Multiple Machines

   From: "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>

   So, I have taken the 'identity.pub' file, put it on a floppy (or
   whatever), and then just do something like 'cat identity.pub >
   .ssh/authorized_keys' on a separate machine. Now, above it says,
   'after this, the user can log in  without  giving  the  password,' but
   each time I invoke ssh between these machines I have to enter my
   passphrase. Why that happens (and whether it should happene at all) is
   not clear to me from the manpage. Since that is a heck of a lot more
   work to enter a passprhase than the remote user's password (or more
   often I make a typo in the passphrase), I often use the password for
   the user instead. Is there a difference? Why would I chose one over
   the other? Those are the kinds of things I have trouble with in the
   ssh manpages.

What you do is run ssh-agent:

	ssh-agent /bin/sh
	% # (now you're talking to a shell that is a child of the
	% #  ssh-agent, and has a way to talk to it in its
	% #  environment.  To this shell you say: )
	% ssh-add

ssh-add prompts for your passphrase.

After that, any ssh-related command you run from that shell gets its
authentication information from that ssh-agent.