Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 13:33:29 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Address to reach human operator regarding problems with list?

Hi Tom + questions@

"Thomas Mueller" wrote:
> When a list member has problems with the list that require contacting a human list owner/operator, what is the address to send to?
>
> I received a probe message regarding messages to me that bounced, might have been spams that slipped by the list's filters.

Spammers were also masquerading as me & others recently, I saw the
mailman robot automaticaly refers to the masqueraded innocent.
Happily the spam never got to the (other freebsd) list.

> I was advised in the message that the address was freebsd-questions-owner@freebsd.org, and I sent my message to that address, got back a message from
>
> owner-moderators@freebsd.org with the subject
>
> Your message to moderators awaits moderator approval
>
> Quoting the message,
>
>   Your mail to 'moderators' with the subject
>
>       Re: freebsd-questions mailing list probe message
>
>   Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.
>
>   The reason it is being held:
>
>       Post by non-member to a members-only list

Until [at least] recently questions@ was not a members-only list
  I know as I asked for it be to changed to that, but was declined,
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/src/gen/etc/motd.REL=8.2-RELEASE.diff

I suspect questions@ is still not members-only,
I guess it's just common text or file copied & a message common
to both { bounces from members-only lists, And cases where eg on
questions@, a failing header check detects something dodgy, eg does
not match sender & user asserted From: line }.

>   Either the message will get posted to the list, or you will receive
>   notification of the moderator's decision.  If you would like to cancel
>   this posting, please visit the following URL:
>
>       http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/confirm/moderators/693387b I jhs@ deliberately broke this URL, you dont want any robot scanning an archive or mail reader or human clicking it fce42bd3639754d5b2b906e4ad6ce4bcf
>

>   PLEASE NOTE!  If you would like to post freely to the list, please
>   subscribe first.  If you post from multiple addresses, you can
>   subscribe each address and go into the options page and select 'no
>   mail' for all but one address. This will allow you to post without
>   delay in the future.
>
>   Sorry for the hassle, but certain immature people made this necessary.
>
> (end of quote)

mailman might be misconfigured, (or mis-designed?)
not sending an exactly appropriate message (I think Ive seen similar before)?
Still, it's a message not too far off, telling you list owners will look at it.

> So did I post to the wrong address, were the instructions in error regarding freebsd-questions-owner@freebsd.org?

The address looks good, this page
	http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/admin/freebsd-questions
also lists that address, (in firefox put mouse over word "moderators" & see
at bottom left of firefox (or see source of course :-) )
	freebsd-questions-owner@freebsd.org

> Should that have been owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org ?

Probably not, It might possibly also exist on @freebsd.org as an alias.
Per
	http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo
has a URL to
	freebsd-test-owner@freebsd.org
You could try
	owner-freebsd-test@freebsd.org

BTW /usr/ports/mail/majordomo/files/aliases.majordomo reccomends
an /etc/mail/aliases:
	owner-majordomo:               majordomo-owner
(additional to the real:
	majordomo-owner:               human-or-Postmaster
)
which suggests
	xxx-owner is preferred (at least by majordomo author,
	which chronologicaly preceeded mailman), not owner-xxx.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".