Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 2014 16:34:15 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn@magemana.nl>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to tell pkg it's OK to overwrite files by another port

--AbQceqfdZEv+FvjW

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 05:35:03AM +0200, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> the issue:
> for www/magento there is a sample data package. I'd like to make a port
> for it, but the sample data overwrites a few files in the www/magento
> port's installed files to match the sample theme.
>=20
> This is OK and needed. But I don't know how to tell pkg this.
>=20
> I can make the sample data an option in the magento port and keep it in
> one port, but this would put a large burdon on maintaining the pkg-plist
> on upgrades as sample-data is only updated when backwards incompatible
> changes are made to the core that make the older sample data unusable.
> So I prefer to maintain it as a separate port.
>=20
There is a problem if that is how the port works. If magento expect some da=
ta to
be replaced changed etc then it should not be tracked by the package to avo=
id an
upgrade of the package to overwrite the user special version which is why p=
kg(8)
has a strong hold on which files belongs to which package.

So I think magento should be fixed in that regard. otherwise there is the
PERMISSIVE options for pkg(8) but this is really really not recommanded to =
use.
The best is again to fix the magento port so it allows the normal use cases.

regards,
Bapt

--AbQceqfdZEv+FvjW

--AbQceqfdZEv+FvjW--