Date:      Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:35:14 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christopher Vance <vance@aurema.com>, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP!!! USB MFC committed..

At 12:11 PM +1100 3/1/04, Christopher Vance wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 29, 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>The USB code in RELENG_4 has been updated to match that
>>in -current.  Please test any USB devices that are critical
>>to you BEFORE we release 4.10 :-)
>
><gentle flame="no">
>Would the effort to keep making 4.X releases be better spent
>making 5.X stable, or are the two efforts not competing for
>the same developer resources?
></gentle>

This is a very useful project for a subset of FreeBSD users
who need better USB support, and who are not going to jump
to 5.x right away.  If Julian wants to work on this, I think
it's a fine project to do.  [well, assuming he doesn't BREAK
anything!  :-) ]

There's always a long list of important projects to work on,
and each developer has a different priority for which are
the "most worthy" projects to tackle.  Julian *has* been
working on improvements to -current, but right now this is
the item at the top of his list, due to the users that he
deals with the most.  I see no problem.

Since this is a volunteer project, Julian will "make the time"
to work on the projects at the top of his priority list.  So,
since he's volunteering to work on what he wants to work on,
we are not losing any time by letting him volunteer his time
on this weekend to do this particular improvement for some of
our (FreeBSD) users.

On the one hand I know what you're getting at, but on the other
hand this is still a basically volunteer project...

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org