Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:45:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk (John)
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ping Error Question

John wrote,
> In article <3.0.6.32.19990421222306.00794b50@mail.trlinks.com>, Rhavenn
> StormWing <lists@rhavenn.net> writes
> >I just got pppd to work right and now when I try and ping
> >anything(including the localhost) I get this error:
> >
> >ping: sendto: Permission denied        (this is repeated over and over)
> >
> >I am running FreeBSD3.1 . I have my resolv.conf file set to my ISP's
> >nameserver which I thought was about it
> >to get IP address mapping.
> >
> >Could someone explain to me what that error message means and point me in
> >the right direction to solving it?
> >

> >Thanks for any help in advance! :)
> >

> wherever ping lives is not in your path. Locate ping, go to the
> directory, and then ./ping localhost
>
> what is the output of set from your shell? echo $PATH will give you the
> same answer.

This is not really a question for newbies, but I think I know what the
problem is.

First, ping obviously _is_ in the user's path if they are getting that
message. If it were not, they would get a response like,

ping: Command not found.

What I do think the problem is is that ping does is not owned by root
with the suid bit set. Make sure that when you look at ping's
permissions it looks like this,

% ls -l /sbin/ping
-r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  139264 Feb 28 21:45 /sbin/ping

That is make sure it is owned by root AND there is that little 's' in
the permissions string, '-r-sr-xr-x'. Ping will give an error like you
are getting if it is not suid.

If that is not the problem, take the original question to the
-questions list.

HTH.